UK LPG

The trade association for the LPG industry in the UK

Your basket is empty, click here to shop

UKLPG Online Shop

Click here to visit the UKLPG online shop

LPG Supplier Search

Enter your postcode

Cylinder Supplier Search

Select your county

News Room

LPG Industry Encourages Campers to Stay Safe

With the summer weather now here, and over 3.7 million Britons expected to go camping over the summer holidays the LPG industry wants to remind campers to be avoid the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning by only using an LPG stove or heater outdoors.

“Tents and awnings are not "outdoors" and, surprisingly, are not well ventilated, said Rob Shuttleworth, UKLPG Chief Executive, “always ensure there is an adequate supply of fresh air where the BBQ is being used.”

As a leading fuel in the camping and leisure markets, UKLPG, the UK’s LPG industry body, has been working closely with the All Party Parliamentary Gas Safety Group and Gas Safe Register as well as the wider industry on the potential dangers of CO when camping following the recommendation highlighted by the All Party’s report published in November 2011.

Baroness Finlay, Chair of the All Party Group, said:

“The dying embers of a BBQ give off large amounts of carbon monoxide. These tragic deaths on campsites are completely avoidable, but so few people are aware of the dangers. My parliamentary colleagues and I have been campaigning for clearer warning signs on BBQs and camping equipment to ensure holiday makers are aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. Campers need to know why they shouldn’t be using BBQs and Stoves inside. The fear is that many presume the only risk is from fire. Our calls for greater awareness have been significantly helped by UKLPG through their leaflets and campaigns.”

There were seven deaths from carbon monoxide last year, mainly as a result of charcoal BBQs being taken inside tents and awnings. A recent study has highlighted that there is still a lack of awareness to the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Sarah Hill, from the Gas Safe Register, says, “20% of Brits are not aware that taking a gas barbecue inside a tent can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning and a third do not realise charcoal barbecues can do the same.”

To support this key safety message UKLPG have posted online advice for consumers, and LPG supply members are cascading information through their supply chains to spread this message further as we come into peak holiday season.

Please click here to visit our safety information for Campers.