UK LPG

The trade association for the LPG industry in the UK

Your basket is empty, click here to shop

UKLPG Online Shop

Click here to visit the UKLPG online shop

LPG Supplier Search

Enter your postcode

Cylinder Supplier Search

Select your county

News Room

UKLPG Launches Camping Safely Leaflet at All Party Gas Safety Group

On Thursday 19th April, UKLPG launched its Camping Safely Using LPG leaflet as part of the APPGSG Spring Reception- Carbon Monoxide Safety in the Holiday Period.

This reception was one of a series following the publication of a report called Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning by the APPGSG. As a contributor to the report, UKLPG was keen to support the recommendations made within the report, and specifically reccommendation 10 which reads:

Retailers selling camping and barbecue equipment, registered campsites and caravan sites should promote the dangers of carbon monoxide and the use of carbon monoxide alarms. The British Standards Institute should revise European standard EN 1860 to include a requirement for a prominent warning about carbon monoxide poisoning as part of the information on appropriate usage.

The full report can be downloaded via the APPGSG website here.

The reception was attended by over 40 representatioves of the gas, holiday, chairty, and emergency services. Pat Ardis, UKLPG Board Member and MD of Cambrian Gas Ltd, was introduced by Jason McCartney MP who is joint chair of the All Party Group. Mr Ardis made the following points:

The dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning are not at the fore front of people’s minds when they go off for a camping holiday in the UK or abroad, but it can be a danger nonetheless. Last year the UKLPG Technical and Safety Management Team, the LPG industry’s expert group, recognised that there seemed to be a small but concerning increase in the number of CO incidents relating to camping - predominantly as a result of people taking stoves and BBQs inside their tents for warmth.

While not all these incidents are gas, or indeed LPG related, as a key fuel for leisure and holiday use, the industry felt that it had a duty to increase awareness of the dangers of taking cooking, heating and lighting equipment into tents. Often done so despite manufacturer instructions, and without the realisation of how little ventilation there is in modern tents.

Today marks the start of the industry’s camping safely message, which is expected to expand to also include caravans and boats, through collaboration with our other association colleagues in the camping, caravan and holiday home industry’s to jointly get this message across and be consistent in how this is delivered. It is as yet still early, but we will be working with Gas Safe Register, HSE, CogDem and others in this work as we head into peak holiday and camping season.

A copy of the leaflet is available by visiting the Safety Advice page of this website.