UK LPG

The trade association for the LPG industry in the UK

Your basket is empty, click here to shop

UKLPG Online Shop

Click here to visit the UKLPG online shop

LPG Supplier Search

Enter your postcode

Cylinder Supplier Search

Select your county

News Room

UKLPG supports safety drive for gas appliances

LP Gas users are being urged to stay safe this winter by ensuring their appliances have been checked and serviced to prevent gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. UKLPG, the trade association for the liquefied petroleum gas (LP Gas) industry, has issued the warning as part of Gas Safety Week (14-21 September), the annual awareness event co-ordinated by the Gas Safe Register.

LP Gas is widely used for agricultural, domestic, commercial and recreational purposes across the UK. It has a multitude of applications for off-grid households and businesses, ranging from heating, cooking, cleaning and lighting to waste management, engine fuel and even powering forklift trucks. To ensure safe and efficient fuel usage throughout the winter months, UKLPG is urging LP Gas customers to take the necessary precautions to guarantee all appliances are in safe working order.

Rob Shuttleworth, chief executive of UKLPG, comments: “UKLPG has a long history of working closely with the Gas Safe Register to ensure the safe usage and installation of LP Gas. As part of our support for the Gas Safety Week campaign, we are reminding LP Gas users to invest in boiler and heater maintenance servicing in the run up to winter. This will ensure system safety and efficiency, and guarantee that householders aren’t using more energy than they need.”

“Regular system checkups also protect users against life-threatening risks. Every year, thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas which can kill quickly with no warning. We urge users to fit carbon monoxide alarms in their homes, and to be aware of poisoning symptoms, including headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.”

Carbon monoxide can be produced by faulty fuel burning appliances such as boilers, cookers and gas fires.Warning signs that a gas appliance isn’t working properly include lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.

“Taking the necessary precautions will ensure all appliances are in working order in time for winter,” Shuttleworth adds. “Portable heaters and other equipment may have been in storage over the summer. Calling in a Gas Safe registered fitter to service and safety check your appliances as the colder weather approaches is a small price to pay to avoid a potential gas leak, fire or case of carbon monoxide poisoning over the winter months.

“Bear in mind that illegal gas fitters can put lives at risk, so always check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card to ensure they are qualified. If you rent your property, ask to see a copy of the landlord’s gas safety record confirming that a check has been carried out within the last year.”

For gas safety advice or to find and check an engineer, visit the Gas Safe Register website at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk.