UKLPG Online Shop
Click here to visit the UKLPG online shop
LPG Supplier Search
Enter your postcode
Cylinder Supplier Search
Select your county
Camping Safely with LP Gas
Camping is a popular pastime, and because of its portability, LP Gas is often used for cooking, heating and lighting. However to keep you safe we recommend taking some simple safety precautions:
- Use LP Gas stoves, lights or heaters outdoors ONLY. Tents and awnings are not "outdoors" and, surprisingly, are not well ventilated. There is a risk of CO poisoning and fire if they are used there.
- Don't use LP Gas appliances near flammable materials, including fabrics and long grass.
- Do use appliances in accordance with the instructions.
- Do keep LP Gas cylinders and cartridges outside tents. Always follow the supplier's instructions.
- Do change cylinders and cartridges outside away from any source of ignition, never in a tent. Do follow the supplier's instructions. Don't smoke when changing cylinders and cartridges.
- Do check that the appliance is in good order, undamaged and that hoses are properly attached and undamaged. If in doubt don't use it.
- Do know where you are, what the emergency arrangements are on camping sites and how to call help.
The dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning are not at the fore front of people’s minds when they go off for a camping holiday in the UK or abroad, but it can be a danger when outdoor equipment is taken inside unventiallated areas such as tents.
If You Can Smell Gas...
No matter where you smell gas close the manual outlet valve on the cylinder(s) or tank(s), turn off all appliances and the property's emergency valve.
Open doors and windows.
Do not switch any lights or electrical equipment on or off. Call your supplier so can come and make the gas supply safe.
Dial 999 to call the fire brigade. Ensure you tell them that there is LPG on the premises. Leave the premises and go to a safe place.
Installation & Servicing
By law fixed gas appliances must be installed and maintained by a GasSafe® Registered installer. All gas appliances need regular servicing to ensure they are working efficiently and effectively. Indoor appliances should be serviced annually. Read the appliance instructions for guidance. Never tamper with the equipment.
Carbon Monoxide (C0) is a poisonous gas which can be formed by burning any carbon based fuel if the appliance is not properly installed or maintained. Carbon monoxide detectors are widely available. It is strongly recommended that every household has one. If you ever suffer any of following symptoms when appliances are in use: headaches; nausea; dizziness, turn them off immediately, and have them checked by a GasSafe® Registered installer.
How Safe Is Your Area?
Gas Safe Register have created an interactive gas safety map which identifies the most dangerous postcodes in the country.
Simply enter your postcode to see the risks and get top tips to keep you and your family safe. View the map here.